Run Club Review

 19.8.11

I just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to my friends & followers for all of your support from yesterday's post. You know how to make a girl feel good!

I think that every day that I run - regardless of speed or distance - I am conquering that beast inside that tells me that I'm not a "real" runner. Lacing up my shoes and pounding the pavement every day makes me a runner. No one can take that away from me.

Thanks again for the outpouring of love & support. I think we all struggle with issues, and it's great to know I have such a network of encouragement and inspiration around me!

-----------

As mentioned, I did go to the run club yesterday for my Learn to Run - basically a 10 week program to train to run 5K. Before I left, the winds picked up and the wicked summer rains swelled, but luckily we didn't get hit with the worst of the thunderstorm & hail. But I would have went anyway :)

There were 4 people at the running clinic & 2 instructors. Everyone was welcoming and encouraging.  We did 1 min running, then 1 min walking for a total of 16 mins. On our short run, I had a chance to talk with one of the instructors who looks like a runner - lean and NO body fat. I asked him what marathons he'd run and was surprised to learn that he just took up running over a year ago and has just completed one marathon. I've done more marathons than this guy - not that it's a competition, but it showed me that one cannot judge a book by it's cover.  I think he too was surprised that I had run long distance races in the past. He also gave me some good advice about stretching {active stretching pre-run and static stretching post-run}.

It was nice to be in a community of runners, and I look forward to next week. 

But 16 mins of "running" wasn't good enough for me, so I called my girlfriend and we did almost 4K in the evening. That was a better workout for me!  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP