Mirror Makeover Monday!

 22.8.11

Happy Monday folks!  

We had a busy weekend here - I've got my creative mojo back, so that means projects are on the go! 

This past weekend we tackled TWO projects: 1) Painting the large mirror in the dining room, and 2) Painting the front door exterior.  

First, let me show you the MIRROR MAKEOVER.  It's pretty dramatic...in an understated way.

Let me first remind you what the mirror used to look like!
This mirror is MASSIVE and I love me some black in my decorating, but the dark black frame was too overwhelming for the space. Plus my vision was for a white & gray, tone on tone room. The big black mirror was distracting.
Here it is all taped up with newspaper taped to the wall to avoid the inevitable paint drops!

The primer took a LONG time to go on.

So we decided to use spray paint to get the job done fast. We put plastic on the mirror and the wall to prevent over-spray.
Of course, we used my FAVOURITE go-to spray paint - RustOleum's Ultra Cover in Gloss White. Image from here. I did 3 coats just to be sure we got the right coverage and sheen {and because I'm crazy like that!}

And here's the end result! Isn't it FAB?  It's a mega transformation, but subtle right? I like the white frame against the white wall - shades of white and the different sheen give the room more texture.


Another close-up because I love it so!

 Our 2nd project of the weekend was painting the front door. 

After months {yes, literally months!}, I decided on a paint colour. BLACK - Benjamin Moore 2132-10 - yep, just BLACK - no fancy name. We tried grays, but I could never get the right colour. I figure you can never go wrong with black.  

I see a red door and I want to paint it black...No colours any more I want them to turn black.

So here it is!! What do you think?

Just to remind you, here was my front door before. It was a dark brown {but I'm not a "brown" kind of girl. I like black, white and gray. That is all}. Oh I had the brass door handles, which I subsequently replaced with satin nickel handles from Home Depot - reduced from $150 to $39!

Here's the after again - I just noticed that it's not "perfect" just yet. Definitely some touch up to do, and removing the green painters tape might class it up too.  We'll see...

Again, I'm so thrilled we had a productive weekend! What projects were YOU working on this weekend?  Show me what you got!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous,  August 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM  

Looks amazing! You were one busy momma this weekend, Good Job!

Mummy Maggie August 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM  

Thanks darling! I'm pleased with the change. The mirror was bugging me every time I saw it {which is all day, every day!}, so I'm finally relieved :)

Unknown October 3, 2011 at 7:29 PM  

I love your home! Everything is so well put together...I was wondering where you purchased your coffee table?? I LOVE IT!!

Mummy Maggie October 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM  

Thanks Sherika! I got it like 5 years ago at a store called EQ3 in Toronto. I love it too! Thank YOU!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP